Is FG Planning to Increase Electricity Tariff Again? Read What Fayose is Saying

Discussion in 'News > Local' started by Small6ter, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Small6ter

Small6ter www.6ters.com

A former governor of Lagos, Raji Fashola has played down reports of another increment in electricity tariff.

[​IMG]
    Babatunde Raji Fashola

The Federal Government has said that it will not approve a fresh electricity tariff hike at least for now, stating that it is still meeting with stakeholders in the country’s electricity sector, including the World Bank to provide some level of interventions to the market.

Speaking on Monday in a Channels Television Talk Show, Sunrise Daily, which was monitored in Abuja, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, said the government was meeting with the World Bank to find solutions to the financial challenges of the power sector.

Fashola by this, confirmed a THISDAY report in December 2016 that the government and the World Bank had initiated efforts to bail the country’s power sector from the existing liquidity challenges threatening its survival.

Also, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) is expected to, this month, announce new cost-reflective electricity rates to reflect current operational indices in the industry.

Statutorily, NERC undertakes periodic reviews of the tariff to factor in changes in operational indices like foreign exchange and inflation rates, price of gas for power, as well as changes in generation capacities.

Fashola, however, said that if the government’s deliberations with the World Bank on the financial challenges of the market end well, Nigerians would be protected from a possible electricity price hike.

He said: “Government still has to deal with how to stabilise the value of the naira to the dollar, and again that will be impacted by how much money we get from oil production, which is still our major foreign income earner. We have used our leverage in OPEC to get OPEC to agree to a production cut, which heralded a price rise but can we as a protagonist take advantage of this by stopping to fight?

“People must be clear that if government accepts the recommendations that we will make to intervene, it is not to give the Discos a golden parachute, but first to protect citizens from price hike in terms of power for now and also to keep the subsectors so that they don’t lose their businesses.”

Tags:
  2. Eyor1

Eyor1 Super Addict

Geographical surveyor
    Is anything bad too hard for Buhari to do?
    He likes it when the populace suffers.
    Na people weh vote am into power naim I go blame and not the visionless man himself.
    Make him time do elapse jorh make I see better person ascend that seat of power.

Amara likes this.
  3. Amara

Amara Addict Trust LVL 1

Self-Employed
    Hahahahaha... The first part of your comment got me in stitches.

Eyor1 likes this.
  4. Amara

Amara Addict Trust LVL 1

Self-Employed
    The Minister of Power isn't telling us anything new, no matter how he tries to put on a spin on it about the hike hinging on World Bank deliberations, we all know an electricity hike is afoot.
    All I know is no matter what they throw at us, we shall overcome the hardship of this administration has thrown and keeps throwing at us.

5. Eyor1

Eyor1 Super Addict

Geographical surveyor
    Omehn, asides physical malhandling, a military government is far mmore preferable than this Buhari led crisis filled administration.
    The guy nah f00l weh no deh think of the plight of him people.... his ministers and also a other portfolio holders are not trying either because they do not lead him to reality.

6. HoneyBlinkz1

HoneyBlinkz1 Addict

worker
    @Eyor1, shey you don see d wickedness of this man nw naa n why alot of Nigerians wish him dead.. The heart of man is truely desperately wicked.. Una dey sit down to plan to increase electricity tariffs.. Lemme ask, which electricity, the one wey we nor dey see abi anoda one.. Mke him jst die self..

7. Eyor1

Eyor1 Super Addict

Geographical surveyor
    Hahaha
    @HoneyBlinkz...
    He meant spiritual electricity or better still, he meant the biblical light... "let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your father in heaven "....
    What do you think?
    Abi that one no follow for light?

8. HoneyBlinkz1

HoneyBlinkz1 Addict

worker
    Ha ha ha ha.. Bishop Eyor1, gud morning sire, i greet your annointing wey dey ur head this morning ooh.. That your own light different from the one wey we dey talk ee.. Even if na d same, buhari nor get light wey dey shine before men, na darkness wey dey him heart him dey show us so n it is certainly not bring glory to the father..

9. Eyor1

Eyor1 Super Addict

Geographical surveyor
    Hahaha...
    That name "Bishop Eyor1" sound cool oh.
    @HoneyBlinkz.. .. I will like to be addressed that way onwards oh because truly many where called but only few were chosen, and I am one of the chosen ones.
    Hahahahahahahahahaha, free me oh.

10. HoneyBlinkz1

HoneyBlinkz1 Addict

worker
    Ha ha ha ha ha.. @Eyor1, now to be addressed as Bishop Eyor1.. Your lordship sir.. Any thing for the boiz?? Make you shower us wit your blessings as the chosen one naa..

11. Eyor1

Eyor1 Super Addict

Geographical surveyor
    @HoneyBlinkz...
    Do not even go there because you are now reminding me that you have received your pay...
    Come share it with me nah, there is love in sharing oh...
    @HoneyBlinkz.... I am the last man standing on the payroll.
    I will soon smile with you guys.